Friday, January 2, 2009

With everything going on with my aunt, this week has been completely overwhelming for me and everyone in my family. We've been at the hospital once or twice every day, and Uncle Rod has been staying with her around the clock. Trying to plan and get ready for Ethan's first birthday party tomorrow almost seems wrong to me to be planning a celebration while my aunt is doing so bad. Ryan took Ethan to his mom's because Dr. Weisenberger was supposed to come back this evening and thought her kidney biopsy results would be back. She ended up coming in around 7:45 with the results. She does have Stage IV renal cell cancer, bone mets, lymph node involvement around the kidney, and questionable liver involvement. She's contacting Cleveland Clinic and U. of Chicago on Monday for additional opinions on treatment. They're talking about doing either an IV or oral treatment, but are doing a brain MRI and echo this weekend and working on pain control until they decide what to do. Right now the focus is just trying to keep her more comfortable, so they changed around the settings on her pain pump before we went home. We were at the hospital most of the day, and Sheila had many visitors, and many prayers!! Aunt Emogene and Marty came up from North Carolina Wednesday night, and we got to visit with them this morning and have breakfast, so they got to meet out little man. It was so nice to see them :) We headed up to the hospital and then they had to make the trip back home. Quite a few members from Sheila's church came to visit and fellowship. It really helps her to have them near. God spoke in Room 310 many times today, and I'm sure He will continue to do so.

My (not-so-funny) story of the day... I decided to order Ethan's cake instead of making it myself (cupcakes in the shape of a 1) and went to pick it up and they used the wrong colors even though it was written right there and I provided them with a picture as well. I know that is so trivial compared to what else was going on, but I just wanted something to be taken care of that I wouldn't have to worry about. I burst into tears and couldn't even talk to the poor bakery lady, Ryan had to talk to her, and then I kept apologizing. I guess I just had everything built up inside of me and was trying to be strong for everyone and my family. I feel embarassed about what happened but I guess that is just the moment that all my emotions decided to come out.

No comments: