Saturday, January 17, 2009

We lost a wonderful woman yesterday

I guess it is difficult for me to sit down and write about this because it is so hard to put into words.

Wednesday of last week, the doctors told us that they could not do any treatment to help my Aunt Sheila because the cancer had progressed so much. They transferred her home with Hospice Friday afternoon. We ended up packing things and staying there Friday night, we thought we were going to lose her then. She held on strong and stabilized, but I wanted to be there so Ryan, Ethan, and my grandma have stayed there all week. She had very few moments of even having her eyes open or being responsive, and was the majority of the time in a coma-like state, which was so hard to see!! The little moments of her squeezing my hand when I didn't think she was aware, and watching her pull all her strength together to lift her arms and hug my grandma and my cousin are the things I hope I will remember most. My family spend the week at her side, talking, singing, praying with her and growing closer as a family. She passed away to Heaven yesterday morning at 5:45. It has been an incredibly difficult and emotional week, especially yesterday, and I'm sure it will continue for many days to come. However we are so happy she is in a better place, and hopefully God and time will help to heal our wounds, but she will be with us forever.

No comments: