Monday, January 19, 2009

In memory of Sheila Denise Gray...


We had Sheila's visitation and services today. We had an absolutely AMAZING celebration service for her. I would not even call it a funeral! We had the visitation and service at her church. She was the first caucasian member of a church that was all african-american when she started attending, and she broke through so many bonds and changed so many people's perspective and I think it ended up being really symbolic that her services were on MLK Day kind of like one of her last ways of making a difference!!! Her husband was from the south and his dad still has a lot of those outlooks on black vs white, so she led her husband to the Lord and they were members there, which was a major accomplishment and blessing!! The church choir that she was a member of started the service singing a beautiful uplifting song, everyone was up clapping and worshiping! The service was filled with people getting up to share stories about Sheila, reading poems and scripture, singing songs, and singing the song that my aunt had been the soloist in the choir. It was an incredible way to remember her. She looked beautiful and even looked like she was smiling :) Ryan said it's not often that you can go somewhere feeling down and sad and leave feeling uplifted and happy. I can only hope that I make as big of an impact in my life that she did in hers. I want my rememberance ceremony to be as uplifting as hers!! I have never been a part of something so wonderful :)

No comments: